Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Caveman Wedding? Or me babbling about food choices.

At the beginning of the year, Mr. Rucksuck and I committed to living a Paleo lifestyle. It's been over 7 months now and we could not be happier with our diets, waistlines, and the way our insides feel.

Our road to Paleo was pretty long and even included a trip down vegetarian lane that left us several pounds heavier and feeling generally yucky. After realizing we'd each gained quite a bit of weight in our year and a half together (foodies and winos in love is a bad weight loss combination) Mr. Rucksack joined a local Crossfit gym in December. The Paleo diet came along shortly after, and I jumped on the bandwagon too.

Sometimes vaguely called the Caveman Diet, we can really only eat meat, fruits, veggies and nuts. Nothing processed, no dairy, no gluten, no soy. Basically, if I can't hunt it or forage it, I can't eat it. (This is obviously super oversimplified, but if you're interested in learning more I'd suggest checking out Robb Wolf's site and Everyday Paleo to start.)

Via Hunger Games DWTC Fansite
I think it's fitting that I read the Hunger Games trilogy during my first few days being Paleo, even if I don't really hunt my own food.

Mr. Rucksack and I both stand firm in wanting to remain Paleo - like forever. For as long as I can remember I've had random unknown food allergies that left me with hives and stomach problems  that have all disappeared since starting Paleo. I've learned that I have a soy allergy (and you'd be surprised how many processed foods contain soy) and that my stomach doesn't particularly care for gluten. In addition to no more allergic reactions, I'm down ten pounds so I know I'm doing something right!

Since we're loving this whole Paleo thing, and I refuse to touch gluten and soy ever again, it kind of makes sense to have a Paleo menu for our wedding too. Don't worry, we're not doing some sort of Flintstones dinner.

Via Yedies
When we started to think more about our menu options, what really jumped out at us was a grilled menu. And since we're getting married on the beach, what's better than a clam bake?

Hey, Mrs. Corn! I stalked Mrs. Corn's wedding so hard back in '07! / Photo by Kate Whitney Lucey
Lobster, steak, chicken and vegetables? Now that is a paleo menu all of our guests can be excited about!

Mark & Stephanie, our caterers from Forks & Fingers, have been so accommodating to our needs. Mark's kids actually have Celiac Disease so he's a pro at gluten free menus. That definitely put our minds at ease since we know we have someone who really understands our dietary constraints.

Do you have dietary issues you're keeping in mind during wedding planning?

No comments:

Post a Comment