Wednesday, October 9, 2013

I Carry Your Heart: Let's do this! (Ceremony Part 1)

I think it's pretty evident on my face, but I was so ridiculously excited to get up to the altar and marry Mr. Rucksack. Considering what an emotional wreck I had been leading up to the wedding I was sure that I would be a blubbering mess, but I was just so darn ready to just do thing thing already!

Our ceremony script is so special to us. Partially plagiarized from the internet and partially written by us, it was perfectly meaningful, playful, and tear-inducing. I am so excited to share it with you all!



Officiant: Miss and Mr. Rucksack have asked me to thank all of you for coming here today to help share with them this most beautiful and momentous event.

Mr. and Miss, today we are here to join you in marriage and to share in the joy of this occasion which should be one of the most memorable and happy days of your life.


On this day of your marriage, you stand somewhat apart from all other human beings. You stand within the charmed circle of your love; and this is as it should be. But love is not meant to be the possession of two people alone. Rather it should serve as a source of common energy, as a form in which you find the strength to live your lives with courage. From this day onward you must come closer together than ever before, you must love one another in sickness and in health, for better and for worse, but at the same time your love should give you the strength to stand apart, to seek out your unique destinies, to make your special contribution to the world which is always part of us and more than us.

In the spirit of the importance of strong friendships to a marriage, Miss Rucksack and Mr. Rucksack have asked a close friend to read a selection about love that especially resonates with them.


My mom's boyfriend then joined us to read a quote from our favorite movie, The Princess Bride. He has the best story telling voice and did such a great job with our reading.

Wayne:  
Buttercup was raised on a small farm in the country of Florin. Her favorite pastimes were riding her horse and tormenting the farm boy that worked there. His name was Westley, but she never called him that: Nothing gave Buttercup as much pleasure as ordering Westley around.
“Farm Boy, polish my horse's saddle. I want to see my face shining in it by morning.”
“As you wish.”
'As you wish' was all he ever said to her.
“Farm boy, fill these with water...please.”
“As you wish.”
That day she was amazed to discover that when he was saying 'As you wish', what he meant was, 'I love you.' And even more amazing was the day she realized she truly loved him back.
“Farm boy...fetch me that pitcher.”
“As you wish.”
"Westley had no money for marriage, so he packed a few belongings and left the farm to seek his fortune across the sea. It was a very emotional time for Buttercup.
“I fear I'll never see you again.”
“Of course you will.”
“But what if something happens to you?”
“Hear this now: I will always come for you.”
“But how can you be sure?”
“This is True Love. You think this happens every day?”
 
After our first reading, our officiant read aloud the love story we wrote in lieu of personal vows.

How did you feel when you reached the end of the aisle?

(All photos by Abigail Scott unless otherwise noted) 

Previously on the Rucksack Recaps:

No comments:

Post a Comment