Friday, September 20, 2013

I Carry Your Heart: Mangia!

After we did all of that rehearsing for the big day, we were starving! Mr. Rucksack and I had been running around all day, so I hadn't had a chance to eat much. I was really looking forward to sitting down, grabbing a glass of wine, and eating. So much eating.

Our rehearsal dinner was held at a restaurant exactly halfway in-between our venue and the hotel our guests were staying at, but that's not why we chose it. Pasta Avest is owned by MOH/Cousin Tessa's aunt and uncle from her dad's side and I consider them family too. We spend a few holidays a year with them and I'm always thrilled when I get to eat their food. Our rehearsal dinner was no different. Everything was delicious and Mark was great with our special requests for gluten free items for the 3 Paleo attendees (Mr. Rucksack, myself, and BM Goody).

In addition to our wedding party, some of our out of town guests joined us as well. It was so nice  to spend time with everyone before the wedding.

It was also at this time that we shared the slideshow I had been working on which included these gems from when we were kids:
I split the slideshow into 4 sections beginning with my childhood, Mr. Rucksack's childhood, a section I called "Better Together" with photos of the two of is, and lastly the section that I introduced with the caption: "We couldn't do it without you." Here I included pictures of us with our bridal party and our families - those who were with us, and those who couldn't be.

The Girl's Table (Photo by BM Cupcake)
I had a great time at the rehearsal dinner, but if I could do it all again I would have made sure to change a couple of things.
  • First, I would have definitely made name tags for people. A lot of the guests were meeting each other for the first time, and I was even meeting a lot of people from Mr. Rucksack's family for the first time. Name tags (with relationships to the bride & groom included) would have made things a little easier. 
  • I also would have organized a "get to know you" portion of the night. When I got to the venue, I was immediately put to work on the slideshow, so 20 minutes after the thing started I still hadn't had a drink or met Mr. Rucksack's guests. I was a little peeved that I had to drag Mr. Rucksack away from the bar to introduce me to people. 
  • I would have made a giant wedding party table. I had a blast sitting with my girls, but I would have really liked to talk to the boys too - specially since it was my first time meeting half of them.
  • And lastly, I wish there had been time in the night to do a funtivity like bowling or laser tag or mini golf, or any number of team building activities.
But alas, those things weren't done and it still turned out okay!

At the end of the night, several members of the bridal party - Mr. Rucksack included - went to the bar across the street from the hotel for some after dinner drinks. Since I was staying two towns over, in the town we'd be getting married, I opted out of the party and went back to the inn to catch some z's instead. But first, I realized I'd forgotten some things at home! Instead of driving all the way home, I stopped into a gas station and told the clerk "This is going to sound really bad, but I'm going to need some Benadryl and a package of razors." I explained that it was the night before my wedding and I really needed to shave and then fall asleep. After some giggles with the teenagers manning the gas station, I went back to the hotel and fell asleep while watching Animal Odd Couples on Netflix.

It was a much less eventful night than the rest of the bridal party had, but it was just right for me! (Seriously, I love funny animal friends!)

How did you/will you spend your last single lady night?

Previously on the Rucksack Recaps:

No comments:

Post a Comment