Friday, March 15, 2013

Love is a Mix Tape: Choosing the Ceremony Music

Mr. Rucksack recently received an email of wedding song suggestions from one of his groomsmen. Some of them were wildly inappropriate and some of them were totally awesome, but they definitely reminded me that we need to start thinking more about music choices.

Having just solidified our DJ for the big event, Mr. Rucksack and I sat down with little cousin GM Brobot to start thinking about our "must have" and "do not play" song lists. GM Brobot focused on the reception, putting lots of thought into his choices. My favorite picks from my 9 year old cousin's list? "Boombastic" and "Safety Dance". Yep, I told you the kid is cool.

Mr. Rucksack and I focused on our ceremony and first dance songs. Luckily, we have a full list of songs we consider "our songs." With our extreme love of music (hello, we met during karaoke) I'm happy that we're getting married on the beach and don't have any restrictions on the music we can play.

Prelude: "Home" by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros. This is one of our all-time favorite songs and one that we duet together all the time. We knew we had to fit it into our ceremony somehow.
    
"I Will" by the Beatles. It's a classic and also a favorite here in the Rucksack house. It's also the first song Mr. Rucksack played for me on his guitar.


Processional: "Marry You" by Bruno Mars. I know, could we be any more predictable? But seriously, what a great song and I think our bridal party will have fun walking down the aisle to an upbeat song. Plus, this engagement video? Still one of my favorite YouTube videos ever.



Bridal March: "Sea of Love" by Cat Power. One of the most hauntingly beautiful songs I have ever heard. I was randomly humming this around the house for weeks before it finally occurred to me to use this as my entrance song. It's not only gorgeous and the perfect tempo, but it's about being by the sea! And who's getting married by the sea? This girl!




Recessional: "Be My Baby" by the Ronettes. Mr. Rucksack sings this song to me all the time. I can't wait to smooch my new husband when this song starts playing!


Are you using non-traditional music in your ceremony?

No comments:

Post a Comment